Estimating Competition Winners Announced
Six students from Youngstown State University are the 2016 Builders Association Construction Estimating Competition champions.
On Friday, March 18, two-dozen YSU civil and construction engineering technology students spent the day estimating the Phantom Fireworks building project, which was already completed in West Salem, Ohio by a member of The Builders Association, Adolph Johnson & Son.
Four teams of students were challenged to create a written estimate – including take-offs, pricing, and quote sheets – by analyzing plans and specs, a partially-complete bid worksheet, labor costs and unit costs. Congratulations to these students for winning the competition:
- Senior Clint Pullium, New Castle, PA
- Junior Matt Wright, Youngstown, OH – Matt won in 2015 as well!
- Junior Danny Marker, Warren, OH
- Junior Shannon Moyers, Sebring, OH
- Sophomore Cody Bova, Struthers, OH
- Sophomore Kyle Goff, Beaver, PA
Jason Gibson of The Jack Gibson Construction Company mentored the winning team. This year’s judges were:
- Jim Santini, Jim Santini Builder, Inc.
- Dan Terreri, Daniel A. Terreri & Sons
- Howard Agueda, VEC, Inc.
- Chris White, Boak & Sons, Inc.
- Craig Fauvie, ms consultants, inc.
Each year, The Builders awards scholarships to YSU students who are studying for a career in construction. At the 2008 award ceremony, scholarship recipients expressed a desire to work on an actual building project, and The Builders created the event in response to the request. For more information about The Builders, visit TheBuildersOnline.com
Pictured here is Association President, Jim Santini of Jim Santini Builder (far left) and Paul Johnson of Adolph Johnson and Son (far right) with the winning team of (back row): Kyle Goff, Shannon Moyers and Matthew Wright; (front row): Clint Pullium and Cody Bova. Not pictured: Danny Marker.
For a complete photo album of the event, click here.