YSU Future Constructors Excel at 8th Annual Estimating Competition
Seven students from Youngstown State University are the 2017 Builders Association Construction Estimating Competition champions.
On Friday, March 24, two-dozen YSU civil and construction engineering technology students spent the day estimating the Fresenius Medical Center building project, which was already completed in Salem, Ohio by a member of The Builders Association, Jim Santini Builder, Inc.
Four teams of students were challenged to create and submit a written proposal by a 3:00 p.m. deadline. The material included the proposal form, a performance and payment bond, a specifications quiz, and a written schedule. Their tasks included performing take-offs by analyzing plans and specs, arriving at pricing for unit cost work, and reviewing sub and material quote sheets for use in the bid.
The teams then had to provide a presentation to the judges. There they identified each team member’s role during the bidding exercise, described their approach to bidding the project (including quote analysis), and reviewed their proposed schedule.
Congratulations to the students from Team #1, who garnered the most points during the multifaceted competition:
- Senior Mark Clapsadle, East Palestine, OH
- Senior Danny Marker, Niles, OH – Danny is a 3-time participant & 2016 defending champ!
- Senior Jordan Mullen, Struthers, OH – Jordan is a 3-time participant!
- Sophomore Jo-Lynn Campbell, Youngstown, OH – Jo-Lynn is a 2-time participant!
- Sophomore Phil Klimis, Lowellville, OH
- Sophomore Andrew Rauch, Sharon, PA
- Sophomore Adam Smith, Niles, OH
Ryan Hively of Hively Construction Company, Inc. mentored the winning team. Ryan and other mentors spent many hours with the teams to prepare them for the competition. Additional mentors are:
- Jim Bayer, DeSalvo Construction Co., Inc.
- Dave Wendel, Adolph Johnson & Son, Co.
- Jason Gibson, Jack Gibson Construction Company
- Ed Stevens, Stevens Masonry Construction, Inc.
- Chris White, Boak & Sons, Inc.
- Joe DeSalvo, DeSalvo Constuction Co., Inc.
- Kyle Leonard, Imperial Glazing Concepts, Inc.
Many thanks to this year’s judges:
- Jim Santini, Jim Santini Builder, Inc.
- Dan Terreri, Daniel A. Terreri & Sons
- Howard Agueda, Builders Association
- Craig Fauvie, ms consultants, inc.
In addition to the winning team, congratulations to all of the student participants for their hard work:
Senior, Matthew Wright, Youngstown, Ohio
Freshman, Justin Somerville, Cortland, Ohio
Freshman, Ken Kopp, Struthers, Ohio
Sophomore, Alan Slavic, Struthers, Ohio
Senior, Bob Colbert, Youngstown, Ohio
Sophomore, Sam Atkinson, Warren, Ohio
Sophomore, Angela Melia, Struthers, Ohio
Freshman, Joe Cicchillo, Warren, Ohio
Freshman, Terrance Miranda, Warren, Ohio
Sophomore, Haleigh Combs, New Middletown, Ohio
Junior, Aaron Robbins, Imperial, Pennsylvania
Senior, James Harrison, Lowellville, Ohio
Junior, Nick Sheely, Youngstown, Ohio
Junior, Stephen Brown, Boardman, Ohio
Freshman, Joseph Billec, Canfield, Ohio
Freshman, Kara Weeks, Youngstown, Ohio
Junior, Jake Marquis, East Palestine, Ohio
Senior, Gregg Lipp, Rogers, Ohio
Sophomore, James Garnet, Warren, Ohio
Each year, The Builders awards scholarships to YSU students who are studying for a career in construction. At the 2008 award ceremony, scholarship recipients expressed a desire to work on an actual building project, and The Builders created the event in response to the request. It was held this year, as in previous years in YSU’s Moser Hall, Room 2400.
For a full photo album of the event, click here.